Scott is back from holidays and making up for lost time. One of his posts today addresses the question ‘what is a cult?’ because it was suggested to him that his group may be a cult.
We have also had that suggestion made of us, (but I asked my wives and they don’t think its accurate…)
Here is the list Scott put up drawn from work by Adrian Van Leen, a West Aussie cult watcher.
1. The Preaching of Fundamentalist Revival
2. The Leader’s/Pastor’s Domination
3. Arrogant Authoritanism
4. Regular Calls to Submission and Obedience
5. Strong Emphasis on Tithing
6. Narrow Outlook and Perspective
7. Poor Theological Training
8. Distorted Theological Emphasis
9. Insensitive Simplistic Solutions
10. Agressive Recruiting/Proselytising
11. Intense Confession
12. Promotion of Guilt
When you look at it from that angle we don’t fit many of the categories even slightly. The ironic thing is that some ‘churches’ may actually be more cult-like than ‘cults’!
How does your church rate?
Is Mark Edwards a cult leader – after all he has only obtained a degree from the Baptist Theological College in WA?
Ok, i jest (no really Mark 🙂 ) but is it not disturbing how that list doesn’t just fit Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses, but does fit at times quite neatly in some strands of the contemporary western church?…